Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chateau Hexagon

Month 6 - ...continued

After stitching The Flower Patch the six blocks are joined together

Month 7 - Lilypads

"The Lily pond with its Lily Pads and Flowers are in the middle of the driveway that leads to Chateau Hexagon".
You will see that the Lily Pads and Flowers have been appliqued and embroidered and my next task is to place onto the larger check circle adding ric-rac around the edge as I sew.  The check circle and driveway then have to be sewn to the 6 blocks adding strips of hexagons along the top 2 seams.  Pleasurable for sure and a lovely way to spend any free time over Christmas.

Friday, December 13, 2013

Yet another AnnAKa pattern - Annas Sminkepung!

This time a Christmas gift for Wendy

Wendy's daughter and her family recently moved to Switzerland for a couple of years.  She is so looking forward to visiting them for Christmas and I thought this little pouch would be useful to pack in her suitcase.
The fabric is, again, Emily's Accessories and I cut out one of the small panels and, using iron-on adhesive HeatnBond Lite, attached this to the front.  My thread choice around the little square panel is Madeira Metallic and the scroll fabric along the zipper has also been used to line the bag.
Now to wrap and tag.

Chateau Hexagon

Month 6 - The Flower Patch

Another great block to sew - the 6th and final one for the wall-hanging.  Lynette says how she "loved watering the flower patch, running out to see if the seeds had sprouted and then as the little plants grew strong and tall waiting, hoping that they would have flowers." 

The blocks can now be joined together!!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

"All About Anna"

I recently purchased a PDF tote pattern from Stephanie Dunphy of Loft Creations called "All About Anna" and I'm delighted with the result.
Anna measures 15 1/2" W x 3" D by 11" H (19" with handle drop).  My fabric is called "Asian Harmony" designed by Lonni Rossi for Andover Fabrics and I used a Madeira Rayon thread for quilting.  The bag front has a pocket divided into 3 and the back also has the lovely pieced top. 
Anna may be made using purchased handles, but there are instructions for fabric ones.  I didn't have sufficient fabric to make the "pattern" handles and used black webbing with fabric stitched down the centre.  I've used this method before and really like the result.
Stephanie says to use a "fantastic" button, but I struggled somewhat in finding one with a shank and in the end cut one from a "not worn anymore jacket"!!!
And then there were two!!

When my DH saw my blue Anna he suggested I make one for our neighbour who very kindly takes in parcels when we are away.   This time my fabric is from Makower UK called  "Emily's Accessories".  The collection has some lovely small panels, which are depicted on the "Emily Scroll" fabric, and I cut 2 strips and then made the bag in the same way as before.  My thread was Superior Gold Metallic  for quilting around the small panels and a greeny coloured McKenna Ryan thread for the front pocket and bag back. 
Stephanie has some lovely bags on her website and I especially like her latest creation "Caity - Did"

Now I really must stop enjoying myself and get back to Chateau Hexagon Button of the Month, unless my DH thinks of other worthy "Anna" recipients!!

Rita's Diary

My friend Rita and I go back a long way and usually meet once a month for lunch and a chat.  A few years ago I made Rita a space dyed silk velvet diary cover, which was machine embroidered and lined with silk, but I'm told it's beginning to wear and needs replacing!!!

I gathered together noir silk space dyed fabric, from the Festival of Quilts last year, and painted lace (by Janet Humphrey) and after stabilising the back of the silk divided the fabric into quarters with tacking thread.  The lace was attached using invisible thread then it was ready for embellishment.  (I hate invisible thread, but it does have a purpose).

As I knew the diary would be getting a lot of use I planned to embellish mainly the front, but I couldn't stop!

The threads used are hand dyed Chameleon, The Cherry Tree, South Africa (purchased from Lorna Bateman) perle 8 and 12, also Soie Cristale by Caron (from Stitchin Bits & Bobs) which  is 12 ply 100% silk.  My beads were from JBS Beads - tiny size 15's with just a few size 10's.

So, after what seems 100's of beads, many many French Knots here's Rita's Diary all ready to hand over at our December lunch-date.



Totally impractical I know, but you may just be able to glimpse a voile sleeve I've sewn which hopefully will extend its shelf life!  I so enjoyed watching this grow.